Khasir Dalcha / Mutton Dalcha is a delicious mutton curry with split yellow peas and long melon/ bottle gourd(lau). This curry dish literally goes with everything(along with luchi, paratha, roti or side with biriyani or main with plain rice or polau). Use of tamarind puree has interest roll here. Using certain amount of tamarind will enhance the taste without making any tangy flavour to the curry. Enjoy.
• 1 kg mutton(curry cut)
• 1 and ½ cups split yellow peas
• ½ kg long melon(Lau)
• 1 cup sliced onion
• ½ cup tamarind puree
• 2 tablespoons ginger paste
• 1 tablespoon garlic paste
• 1 tablespoon chilli powder
• 1 tablespoon coriander powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin seed
• ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
• 2″ cinnamon stick
• 4 – 5 dry chillies
• ½ cup oil
• Salt to taste
How to make:
1. Wash split yellow peas and soak it for at least 2 hours. Drain water and place it into a strainer.
2. Wash meat and place into a strainer.
3. Peel the long melon(Lau) and cut into pieces.
4. Heat the pan with oil (keep aside 1 tablespoon oil) and add onion. Fry onion till it becomes golden brown.
5. Add all paste and powder spices and cook it till oil is separated.
6. Add meat and ½ tablespoon salt; cook it till it gets dry. Add ¼ cup water and cook till it gets dry.
7. Repeat the process thrice (I mean add ¼ water three times and cook till it gets dry).
8. Add lentil and cook 2-3 minutes; add 6 cups of water and cook till meat becomes tender.
9. Add long melon (Lau) and cinnamon; cook till long melon (Lau) becomes tender.
10. Add tamarind puree and check the salt. Stir it and cook 2 more minutes.
11. Remove Khasir Dalcha / Goat with Split Yellow Peas and long Melon from heat.
12. Take a pan fry cumin and dry chilli with oil.
13. Serve the Khasir Dalcha / mutton dalcha with broken roasted chillies and roasted cumin.